Wednesday, 13 February 2013

A Question Regarding Religion


The society that we live in consists of many stems that control our everyday lives; how we interact with other people, how we think about the world but most importantly it controls and moulds our way of thinking towards ourselves and what we want to achieve in our lives. So how do we define the right way of thinking? 

The answer to that, in my opinion, is that there is no right way of thinking. The right way is what we perceive to be the right way in our own minds. What we think is right ultimately becomes the values in which we keep stepping forward, but if one society were to teach each individual who resided in it a similar set of rules, would that lead to each individual moving in the same direction as every other individual also in the very same society?

If this were true, then why does everyone have a different way of understanding what life is all about. From where I stand, freedom is where your parents lead you, and for others, freedom is where you lead yourself whether it is within your parents choice or not, These values then become your religion. Through this statement, it seems that your religion, in other words, your values, becomes easy to follow as you are the individual who has created these values from experience.

The reason why I link religion to values is due to the perspective of Emile Durkheim. This originator of functionalism strongly believed that the norms and values of which you carry with you are the same as the religion you follow. The rules integrated with religion can be seen as the same as your norms and values. 

However through my way of thinking, following my religion becomes the most difficult thing to follow, as the more and more I see I understand my values are changing. If that were true, that would also mean my religion is changing with me. This conflict with the base religion and my own religion brings along the question, is the base religion true and if followed does it lead to, for many religions, heaven or for Rastafarians, Zion or for buddhists the true realisation of everything in this world? Thus do my values become my religion or not?

Written By,

Jawaad Saleem